Pages

Tuesday 12 June 2012

They came from a land down under

Well the season is now just passed the half way mark with 24 races done.  So like the football which is occupying every T.V channel I felt the need for a half time interval, time to refresh my mind, my body but sadly not my bank account.  Two weeks ago I was physically still strong but the spark had gone, that top 2% that you have to really push for seemed too much for me.  Since then I have been training steadily and making some massive improvements… on the PlayStation… which has seen me dedicate many tedious hours over the past 2 weeks.  It also gave me a chance to see my Grandma from Australia who came for the day and a quick jaunt into Holland gave me the chance to support my dad who is riding from Bradford to Hamm in Germany for charity.  On a physical note I have lost form but this was only to be expected, I made the call to refresh my head which in a season packed with over 50 days of racing will in time be more important. 

Onto racing then, following 2 weeks of rolling around Belgium at 30kmp/h I was always going to suffer when the pace was piled on.  The first day back is traditionally never more than a slacking off day.  Back in my office days it would be a day for a bit of light filing, followed by an early lunch and rounded off by never quite making it back into work and calling it a day by 11am…. Not in Kermisse racing though.  The course was effectively a massive criterium, which for those of you who are new to cycling is a race based around a town centre featuring harsh corners and short straights.  The village of Herselt was to be my reintroduction to racing.  16 tight corners on a 12 kilometre lap ensured some violent accelerations coupled with a strong wind which ensured the race was spent almost entirely in a single line.  Initially I struggled, the sudden accelerations put several bike lengths into me but as the races 120 kilometres passed in a blur I began to feel better.  The race split badly at the half way point, a slight let up in the pace every now and then had until that point kept the race together but with a solid 15 kilometres of brutal speed the damage was done and gaps appeared.  I was in the second split on the road.  We had little to race for with 35 riders up the road but as I expected the word gruppetto (Italian, meaning last group on the road) means nothing in Flemish so the attacks kept on coming from my group… much to my annoyance.  In the end the needless attacking blew my group of maybe 30 to bits and I rolled in 50th from 112 starters, not a bad result by any means as over half the field retired, but it was well below my best.  The race was won in impressive style by a young rider called Shane Archibold of the New Zealand team.  The part that pleased me most was not the result, nor the way I’d ridden, it was the fact that I was more than up for the following day, the spark of competition was back and I was ready for action once again.

Sunday was the second part in my racing weekend double bill.  I was looking forward to another bite of the competitive cherry and the village of Hoegaarden didn’t disappoint.  The course was as lumpy as school dinner custard and the field was stacked with more hitters than an international cricket team.  We started straight out the blocks and rode up the first hill before I’d even had a chance to catch my breath.  The pace was not overly fast by kermisse standards but the poor road surfaces and nagging wind were taking their toll on my tired legs.  It became very much a race of attrition as each time we crested the finish hill more riders would climb off.  I was gritting my teeth but with poor legs I was having to make up places in the corners and slipping back on the climbs.  Sure enough my cards came up with 3 laps left, I crested the hill a few bike lengths off the remaining 60 riders and even riding at full stick for half a lap I was watching the group pull away.  I was left to ride back to the finish with a rider whose wife regularly serves me at the local bike shop.  I tried to make light conversation, explaining to him how his wife was generous enough to give me discounts but at this point he had heard enough and mysteriously felt fresher all of a sudden… so much for international relations, although I reckon he thought I had been working on those with his wife.  The victory went to an amazingly strong rider by the name Tom David, another kiwi.  I’ve not come across him before which is probably due to my lack of result scouring but I’m sure with the ride he did on Sunday I will see his name atop the podium in much bigger races soon.   
So there we go, not a particularly successful first week back in the office but a welcome one.  Below are a few novelty shots that I spotted pootling around the Belgian countryside

                                                      They start them young in Belgium...

                                                     This thing even had a cycle computer!

And finally a race shot from Saturday, and yes that does say baby dump on that blokes shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment