Pages

Saturday 26 May 2012

Youthful exuberance


Like two strangers who meet for the first time I thought I would start off by talking about the weather.  It has been scorching in Belgium recently on the widely accepted ‘ginger thermometer’.  Tuesday topped out at 29 degrees with barely a cloud in the sky.  I had been fending off a cold ever since my decent ride the previous Thursday with a concoction of multivitamins and Yorkshire tea… reasonably unsuccessfully I might add. It was a toss-up as to whether to race or not.  On the one hand a rest would give me a chance to be stronger for the days to come, but on the other, at 5 euros a race it would probably be cheaper to race than to watch as I’m sure my 5 euros would be swallowed up within a couple of trips to the ice cream van.  I signed on rather reluctantly. 

As the clock struck 6pm we careered into the first bend and off into the back lanes.  The course was pretty flowing meaning I could sit in without having to suffer through the endless accelerations that normally come with a town kermisse.  My initial fears about being under the weather were confirmed as I followed a move on lap one, I crept across the gap sucking in the air like a 20 year old vacuum cleaner before tagging onto the group and regretting the exertions.  I was forced to sit back and watch as the race disintegrated, unable to really attack.  I finally came around by the final 35km but by then the race was as good as over with over 40 riders up the road.  I tried to avoid the dangers of a bunch sprint late on, attacking through the finish line with one 8km lap left.  I looked around for help, hoping a strong rider would tow me away from the bunch but I was alone.  I make no secrets about my hatred of time trialling.  It has been 6 years since I bored myself half to death battering down an ‘A’ road on a midweek evening but right now I was going to have to call on those very skills.  I tried to be aerodynamic like the TV shots we all see of Bradley Wiggins but I might as well of had a parachute attached I felt I was going so slowly.  A quick look down at my gears showed I still had 3 left to push the pace on.  I plugged away, looking over my shoulder more often than back street drug dealer.  I had maybe 300 yards on the peloton, with 1km to go I was caught by 3 riders who had used their collective strength to reel me in.  I didn’t even go for the sprint, taking a distinctly average 48th.  But at 5 euros an entry it was definitely cheaper to ride then to sit in the bar working my way through the range of fruit juices.   

If Tuesday felt hot then I was in for a melting on Thursday.  Multiple laps of a rolling course and 31 degrees ensured it felt more like a rotisserie than a kermisse.   I threw a couple of testing attacks in on lap 1 but these were a preliminary throw of the dice that came to nothing.  I let the laps tick by as the 150 rider field was stretched like an elastic band over the finishing hill each lap.  With 50km to go I spotted the perfect counter attack, the problem was 15 riders were already in it… and rapidly riding away at around 20 seconds in front of the peloton.  I used my main strength to bridge the gap, hitting out at the bottom of the climb and pressing as hard as I could on the pedals, finally making contact just metres from the top of the hill.  There were perhaps 20 riders in this counter attack, too many to work cohesively and I should have known this.  I gambled my energy on this move, taking more than my fair share of turns at the front in the hope we could bridge up to the leaders.  With just 30km left things were beginning to get painful.  As we approached the hill I played the same trick I used a week earlier in Kumtich, riding at the head of the break to ensure I was still up there at the top.  This week the gamble failed… so did I to be honest as my legs simply weren’t up to the task and I was left in the second split over the crest.  I tried to stay calm, draining both my bottles to try and summon something left inside me.  I was experiencing ‘the bonk’, ‘the hunger knock’, ‘hitting the wall’, call it what you will because at that point I had more words than energy.  I was left to nurse myself home in a group of perhaps 15 riders.  In the kick for the line had nothing and rolled over for my second 48th place in 3 days.  If I started like a grape, I now resembled a raisin.  My under vest had tripled in weight and felt as though I had showered in it.   I have ridden on a good vein of form for perhaps the last month.  I think my capitulation in Thursday’s finale may have been the last dregs being forced away through the pedals.  I look forward to the inevitable visit from the anti-doping van next week having used the words vein and form in the same sentence but having raced over 1000km this month alone on top of training I am looking ahead to a mid-season break away from racing over the next couple of weeks.  The hot weather also seems to have awoken belgiums student population, all of whom seem to be at a dance music festival down the road from me partying until the sun rises… so much for a decent nights kip!
Below is a quick pic of last thursdays race in the gallop for 13th, I like the picture partly because I clearly look like i'm giving it the beans, but mainly because the spectator on the far right of the shot is swearing at us...  photo courtesy of Belgiums finest photographer, Jean Bollaerts   

No comments:

Post a Comment