Pages

Thursday 26 April 2012

Weathering the storms


Belgium has been no different to the majority of Europe this past week, each morning I’ve awoken to see the rain being propelled horizontally past my bedroom window.  On a training day this isn’t so much of a problem as I don the rain cape and head out into the wind watching the minute hand crawl by on my watch.  Sunday’s race was to be 120km in the small village of Kortenaken.  With myself and my roommate sat in the warmth of my car before the start, the heavens opened.  I elected to start the race warm, so contrary to every fitness DVD you’ll ever watch I sat in the car until a couple of minutes to go, watching as the field of 150 or so began to shiver under the start banner.  The race took off in classic kermisse style with riders throwing caution to the very strong wind.  A group of 8 slipped away very early and proceeded to pull out a good gap after 30km or so.  After 80km I made my main break away attempt.  I moved up the side of the bunch as the road climbed out of the village, sitting in the saddle to save my energy for one big push.  As we approached the crest of the hill I made my move, clicking through the gears and stringing the bunch out in my wake.  I pressed on as hard as I could over the top, trying to break the elastic of the peloton.  In a moment of Shakespearean drama the hail kicked in just as my legs began to burn, the pea sized balls bouncing off the road and stinging any exposed flesh.  I had pulled out a bit of a gap but with only two of us sharing the workload and 100 riders bearing down on us the move was doomed.  The attempt had however given me hope that I could make a late surge.   A crash in the bunch late on split the peloton just before the crosswind section.  I absolutely buried myself to get across to these riders but even at 50kmp/h I was a mere 10 yards off the back and unable to close the gap.  I settled into the main echelon thinking of a way to avoid a bunch sprint.  My opportunity came with just 6km remaining.  I rode solo across a small gap of maybe 10 seconds to a promising group of 9 riders.  I made the juncture just before the cross wind section.  We worked together as well as a bunch of selfish, tired and soaked riders could be expected to, swinging onto the finishing straight a handful of seconds ahead of a 60 man peloton.  I played my hand early in the gallop, kicking with 400 metres to go on the climb, as the lactate kicked in tactics went out the window and I pushed desperately on the pedals absent style or technique.  I took 7th in the sprint, 31st on the day… good enough to claim 10 euros.

Wednesday was to be 120km of rolling terrain on the farm roads around Kumtich.  The conditions were, in a word horrendous.  This wasn’t lost on the commissaire who gave each rider a pondering look as we put pen to paper, his mind clearly wondering whether we were all masochists. The wind touched 80kmp/h, the rain threatened to washout the car park and a 6pm start ensured any hope of decent daylight was rapidly fading.  As a general rule, if a kermisse starts easy then the riders will make it hard, if a race starts off hard then I would normally leave the car running in expectation of being sat in it within the hour! The bunch rolled out of the start, straight up a hill and out into the exposed farm roads.  I had managed no more than 4km when the race began to pull apart in an example of natural selection that Darwin himself would be proud of.  The echelons of riders spanned the width of the road, every man desperate for shelter from the wind.  I found myself in the 3rd split, a quick glance in front and behind showed the field ravaged into more lines than you'd see in an after school detention.  160 riders had started and by lap 2, 50 had hit the showers early.  I plugged away in my group rotating through the echelon, taking my turn in the wind.  We pressed on, mopping up riders who had cracked further up the road.  The effort required in the cross wind was immense; the stronger riders taking the opportunity to put everyone in difficulty leaving only the fittest to make the finish.  With the field well and truly decimated after 75km my group continued to batter around the course, the ever looming presence of the broom wagon (last vehicle in the race) bearing down on us.  I finished like a drowned rat, tired but with the satisfaction of knowing I was starting to become a hardened Belgian as only 42 finished from 160 starters.  I coincidentally was 36th. My performance had been gritty, certainly my clothing weighed considerably more, laden with thousands of years of Belgium’s finest dirt.  The way the road muck smeared itself across my teeth and burrows into every crevice… a souvenir if one were needed!

I don’t normally mention recovery rides; they’re effectively a day of pootling along bike paths at tourist speed.  Thursdays ride was in every way a normal spin until I heard the call of ‘passop’ from behind, never a good sound as it meant I was soon to be overtaken… gulp.  I glanced over to be nothing less than star struck.  Swooping past me no more than 2 kilometres from my house was Belgium’s favourite son Tom Boonen.  He lives in nearby Mol but his god like status in Belgium means he spends most of his time in Monaco.  I tagged onto the back of him for a couple of kilometres, regretting I had neither my camera for a photo or a pen for a signed jersey. For casual readers this is about as likely as Wayne Rooney turning up at your local five-a-side league… a humbling experience.  Hopefully next time I can talk Tom into a café stop and I can listen to the great man like a boy scout around a campfire.              

    
If a photo is a thousand words than this miserable scene gives you an idea of Kumtich.  I'm 2nd from the left.  image courtesy of christel kiesekoms cnops.

No comments:

Post a Comment