Pages

Monday 7 March 2011

Crashes, crosswinds and carnage

Having dipped my toe in the water…metaphorically last week, this last weekend was to be more of a shove in at the deep end of Belgian bike racing.  Brussels-Zepperen, a 150km semi classic with crosswinds, cobbles and 198 riders all with something to prove.  A midweek foray into Leuven has been the highlight of the last week, a local British rider called Giles took us on a decent scenic ride into the heart of Belgian beer brewing country.  Leuven is very much a student town but has retained some beautiful architecture and is awash with cafes.  It was also pretty much the first time we had seen Girls our own age on masse, somewhat a treat for four boys who have lived like monks for a month in a small village.  I was also very impressed by the number of people on what Belgians call ‘town bikes’- basically a sit up and beg bike that can be in any condition that the owner uses instead of walking.

Shopping has become somewhat of a quest in Belgium.  As a bike rider living cheaply I try buy my food where ever is cheapest assuming it’s the same quality.  Unfortunately this means, twice a week me and my team mates visit two to three supermarkets to save probably 5 euros… but “it’s not what you spend…it’s what you save” as my mother would say.  Our favourite shop is a supermarket called ‘Colruyt’.  The reason for this is the freebies…Back in Britain its rare to get a tiny chunk of cheese or something from a deli counter.  Colruyt seems to go along with the idea that people need feeding whilst they shop, something I’d go along with.  There is free wine, beer, coffee (with the obligatory biscuits), crisps and if you’re lucky, there is even an oven with chicken nuggets.  Strangely there was also cat food available for tasting…’its Belgium eh’.   After massively abusing the ‘one per person’ rule we leave and hit the local Aldi and Lidl.

Sunday rolled along soon enough, we had been told to expect echelons after just half an hour of racing.  After a massage the night before and a breakfast that could feed a family of four, we headed to Brussels.  The race started under blue skies, sunny but cold was to be the order of the day.  My race started badly, a pile up after just 2km bent my front wheel and saw me back in the convoy to get a speedy wheel change from our mechanic ‘Gert’.  Pacing back on behind the car is a skill, I’m sure I will get better at it, basically you ride just inches off the rear bumper off your team car at speeds of 35-40 mph in an attempt to escape the wind and the resistance that slows you down normally.  After regaining the bunch it became apparent that everyone was nervous for the first big race of the year.  The stakes are high in race of such prestige, a win can help a rider secure a pro contract for the following year.  Unfortunately my legs were abit heavy during the early exchanges, after exiting the key section of the early part of the race, my front wheel was completely wiped out by another rider seeking shelter in the forming echelons.  The race was already split up badly behind meaning my team car was two minutes reaching me.  Race over.  I rolled to the finishing circuits in Zepperen and to my first DNF of the year.  A disappointment as I will only have a handful of opportunities to race at this level all year. 

1 comment: